The Medical Anthropologies in Brazil
Hg./Ed.: Leibing, Annette
- 245 S.
- 17 x 24 cm
- EUR 34,00
- ISBN 3-86135-568-X
Brazil is a rapidly developing country with an ever changing social reality and
a complex, contradictory and often inconsistent framework of values and cultural references. On the other hand, beside the amalgamation of pre- and postmodern European, Northamerican and African influences, there is something about "being Brazilian" that can be felt as unitary by everybody in this country.
Embedded in this context, for the first time Brazilian medical anthropologists (and foreigners living there) give an overview about their scientific contribution to the field. Almost all of them, while focussing on medical topics in the wider sense, analyse aspects of the diverse and complex Brazilian reality, giving us the opportunity to deepen our knowledge about the country, as well as establishing a dialogue with the authors.
Inhalt / Contents:
- Preface (A. Leibing)
- P.C. Alves / M. Rabelo: Being a Nervous Person: Narratives and the Construction of a Self
- L.-F. Dias Duarte: Nerves and Nervousness in Brazilian Urban Culture
- J. A. Russo: Body Therapists in Rio de Janeiro: Relations between Social Career and Therapeutic Principles
- M.T. Luz / K. Rochel De Camargo Jr.: A Comparative Study of Medical Rationalities
- M.A. Loyola: Social and Cultural Hierarchies and Different Ways of Healing in Brazil
- T. Camargo Da Silva: Biomedical Discourses and Health Care Experiences: The Goiâna Radiological Disaster
- S. Carrara: The Symbolic Geopolitics of Syphilis: An Essay in Historical Anthropology
- S.P. Larvie: Personal Improvement, National Development: Theories of AIDS Prevention in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- M.K. Nations / C.M.G. Monte: "I'm Not Dog, No!": Cries of Resistance against Cholera Control Campaigns
- E. Uchôa / H. Leonardo Guerra / J. Oliveira Araújo Firmo / M. Fernanda Lime E Costa: Signs, Meanings and Actions Associated with Schistosomiasis Mansoni in a Small Village in Brazil
- O. Fachel Leal: Blood, Fertility and Contraceptive Practices
- C. Victora: Inside the Mother's Body: Pregnancy and the 'Emic' Organ 'the Body's Mother'
- C. Calligaris: Notebook on Migrations
- C. Caroso / N. Rodrigues / N. Almeida-Filho / E. Corin / G. Bibeau: When Healing Is Prevention: Afro-Brazilian Religious Practices Related to Mental Disorders and Associated Stigma in Bahia, Brazil
- P. Dalgalarrondo: Is Religious Membership and Intensity a Protective Factor in the Course of Functional Psychosis? A Clinical Study from Brazil
- A. Leibing: Narrowing Worlds: On Alzheimer's Disease and Biography in Brazil
- J. Ferreira Da Silva Filho:Psychiatry: Its Science and Its Ethics
- About the authors